The Great Generation


These days have been difficult for all of us but none more that our elderly and senior citizens, particularly those living alone or in nursing homes.  All of sudden our seniors find themselves completely isolated from the outside world, especially their families. Even priests are not able to visit and bring Holy Communion out of a fear of putting our elderly loved ones at risk sickness and even death.   Some can be connected through the miracles of technology - face time, texts, instagram, facebook and other means for people to stay in touch. How many photos have we see of visits behind glass unable to make any physical contact with those we love.



I have found myself engaged in a new kind of telephone ministry that before the coronavirus there was very little time to do. I try to make a number of calls each day to our homebound and nursing home parishioners, and others who may not have any family.  It’s been a real joy.  These are people who are the giants of our families and the Church, members of the Great Generation.  They don’t complain; they aren’t angry with what is taking place; they aren’t self pitying and focused on themselves that we so often find in the millennials today.  It isn't all about me but all about others.  In my conversations I have heard strong and enduring faith, a joyful spirit, a sense of trust in God, and a real yearning for the things that are precious to them but an acceptance about the way things are because God is in charge.  They don't talk about how this has impacted them personally but they are worried about eternal life - the only thing that really and truly matters - getting to heaven.   One of my communion calls told me, “Father, I am not praying for myself or for things to change.  I pray everyday for strong faith in my children and grandchildren and in the Church.”  Now that is a great prayer.    When is the last time you prayed to God for strong faith?  And not just for yourself but for everyone else?



I look forward to my telephone conversations.  I hate to admit that I take away far more from these phone calls than I can hope to give.  What a gift our Church has in our seniors and elderly.  These are the wise ones, the ones who have come to a sense of peace and trust in God that we can only hope to achieve.  They are the warriors who bring a battle tested faith.  They are unshakeable in their faith, in their great love for the Church no matter what happens. So many called me when I was quarantined, worried that I might have the coronavirus and be at risk.   They are more worried about me and my health than they are about themselves. They have no doubt that God will lead us through this pandemic and that there is a reason for all that we are going through. They trust that we will be stronger people because of it.  And they will be the first ones to come to Mass, receive Holy Communion and go to confession.   These are the priceless treasures they believe in and long for with all their hearts - and yet wait for their return with patience and with hope.  I am reminded of what Saint Paul said to the early Christians:  “It is by patient endurance that you will save your lives.”



Last month the internet lit up when some millennials dismissed the coronavirus by describing it unbelievably as the “boomer remover.”   It said to me that they have no clue at all about who are the most treasured and valuable people in our community and in our Church. They may be past their prime and out of the limelight, but their light shines as brightly as ever.  Pick up the phone.  Call some of your elderly relatives and friends.  Speak to some of our parishioners isolated in a nursing home.  I can guarantee you will take away way more than you can give and that conversation will make you a much better person that you are right now.  Hands down.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The wisdom of Saint Ignatius of Loyola

Take on the Heart of Jesus

Keeping the sin of anger at bay