Inside Looking Out

I have visited many of our parishioners in nursing homes and those who are homebound over the years.  So often I would notice that their eyes and attention were drawn to the windows. They were keen to point out the beautiful flowers blooming in the spring, or the different birds that were coming to eat, or the stunning color of the autumn leaves, even the beauty of the icicles and snow flakes falling in winter.  What caught by attention was their intense attention to detail, the joy they had in describing the beauty of what they saw, and deep appreciation they had for the God's gift of nature.  I hadn't really seen so intensely what they were seeing until they pointed it out to me.

Now I find myself inside looking out. Day 11 of our 14 day quarantine and not able to leave the house for any reason except for a dire emergency.  Despite engaging in many tasks and responsibilities that keep me busy, I find myself drawn to the windows of the rectory and we have many of them, each affording a different view or perspective on life.  I have grown in my sense of beauty and appreciation for all that is around us.  So many of the spring flowers have begun to bloom - a beautiful array of tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, and forsythia. Cherry blossoms are in full color.  So many birds beginning to come on the scene - including one that I see busily building their nest in the tree outside my bedroom window.

I realize now how life can become so busy that we lose sight of the intimate and beautiful details of God's glory revealed all around us in the beauty of his creation.  I have received so many emails and texts from people who have shared those same sentiments with me including a parishioner last night who wrote "I think this time has given me the opportunity to prioritize that which is truly most important in my life," or another who said, "I find myself rethinking what is most precious to me."  It often takes a crisis or tragedy, some difficulty or disruption in life to awaken in our hearts and lives what is truly the meaning of life.  We may be inside looking out in these days, but we are invited to see life differently.  There are still some around us expressing their frustration with the Church, their anger with our government leaders, blaming anyone they can find for what is taking place.  Sadly it is part of human nature, but focusing on the negative can only lead to bitterness, sadness, depression and lack of joy.

We are all suffering in solidarity with the victims of the coronavirus -those who have lost their lives and those struggling with the illness.  We lift them up intentionally in prayer as we call on the power of God's love to bring healing, restore peace, and end this pandemic.  But we look out onto a beautiful world of caring and faithful people who are offering their lives in service to those in need.  We look out the window and see the beauty of God's gift of nature.  We are invited to have a keen sense of vision as we stand inside looking out so that don't miss the signs of God's presence all around us - bringing us joy, peace, and hope - these will always triumph over death and darkness, suffering and struggle.  This is the true meaning of Holy Week and Easter.  Easter Sunday will always follow Good Friday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The wisdom of Saint Ignatius of Loyola

Take on the Heart of Jesus

Keeping the sin of anger at bay